Friday, March 31, 2006

Lesson?

I just wanted to tell everyone that since last night I find myself furious at the prospect of some punk college kid from the middle of nowhere gaining all this fame from spending 41 hours in a Walmart. His name is Skyler Bartels and he is all over the internet. Everywhere! Apparently he attempted to spend the week of his spring break in a 24 hour Walmart. He only made it 41 hours but the Des Moines Register wrote an article about his endeavor. You can tell not much goes on in that city if this is News. Well because of the article he has been on NPR, Good Morning America, David Letterman and is being offered a movie and a book deal. Well four years ago a guy I know through my brother, Marc Dixon, spent 49 hours in a Walmart. He wrote about it in a Zine and on a website. Marcs action inspired many. He inspired my brother to spend two weeks in a kitchen with three other artists studying the effects of confinement on creativity, (I find that interesting from the point of view of a prisoners artwork). Marc inspired my friend Brian and I to spend 24 hours straight on the NYC subway system. You would be surprised how easy it was, how enteraining and how quickly we adapted to sleeping on subway seats. Well I mad from the two points of view, that Skyler Bartels is praised as having such an original idea, when Marc did it more then four years ago and more insightfull and sophisticated. I am also think how mad I would be if some on spent 24 hours on the subway is being offered a book and movie deal for this. Also where is Skylers account of his 41 hours? Everything I have seen written is by the Des Moines Register or the Associated Press

No comments: